Thursday, September 22, 2011

Our New Herd

Its official...we are now part of Sunny Knoll Eco Farm's cowshare program! 

We picked up our first three gallons of milk today and had a BLAST out at the farm!  Sarah, the farmer, says the waitlist for her program is three times the level she has available, therefore we feel VERY fortunate to have gotten in when we did.  All her cows are A2 cleared, you can read information about them here:  http://sunnyknollecofarm.com/guernsey-cows/  or check out the book The Devil in the Milk by Keith Woodford (http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Milk-Illness-Health-Politics/dp/1603581022). 

I wanted three gallons of milk so I could make my own yogurt, butter, cheese, buttermilk...blah blah blah and then Sarah informed me that if I ever don't feel like performing those tasks, she will be my personal chef and I can pay her to do them!  LOL!  Its like she KNOWS me.  So on my lazy weeks I will pay a small fee for a gallon of our milk to be made into delicious cheese (ate a whole wedge of it on the way home from her house!) and yogurt.  Life is good.  Hardly any reason to go to a grocers at this point.

Below are some silly pictures from the farm.  Bruce loved it there playing with Valerie, Sarah's 3 year old daughter, and learning all about farm life.  He can't wait to go back next week.  My idol worship of Sarah made me incapable of intelligent conversation, gotta get over that!

Piglets, chickens, hogs, cows, turkeys...truly an amazing place. 

Rooster

The hogs (the picture of the piglets didn't come out, boo hoo)

Aris, my love

Ruthann sleeping

Ruthann and Buttercup

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics my friend! and when we meet you better be able to hold a convo!

Love how the rooster is the first pic..knock knock