Saturday, April 20, 2013

Cookie Fanatics

I inherited my love of cookies from my grandfather. I can't remember that man ever vocalizing a complaint other than "Where are my cookies?". I remember going with him to Food Lion where he would spend endless amounts of time combing the grocery isles for items my grandmother had him get every week, but he always knew exactly where to find his cookies. At 93 years old that man is still going strong and he still LOVES his cookies.

Unfortunately I do not share my grandfather's stellar health so I've spent considerable amounts of time reading, cooking, and tasting cookies over the years. I think I've finally come up with a cookie recipe that has no refined sugar or white flour and tastes like a cookie. It even has some blood sugar regulating almond flour and zinc packed maple syrup!

I don't claim to be a nutrition expert, so this is just my version of a "healthy" cookie. Enjoy!

1/2 cup almond meal
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup maple syrup (grade B if you can find it)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the dry ingredients. Melt coconut oil in microwave for 20-30 seconds. Combine oil, syrup and vanilla together. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until evenly moist. Add chocolate chips.

Spoon onto parchment lined baking sheets by the tablespoon (I use a small ice cream scooper).

Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try these!
-Lauren